1. For the meat balls combine beef, garlic, thyme, parmesan, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Form into balls.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally until well browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Reheat the pan to medium heat and add onion. Cook stirring for 5 minutes until tender. Add wine and stock then simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Return meatballs to the pan. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
5. Serve with pasta and sprinkled with shaved parmesan.