1. Preheat oven to 220°C with rack in top slot.
2. Blanch, peel and core the tomatoes then roughly chop.
3. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil and garlic by shaking in a jar or stirring in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cut the Italian bread on the diagonal, about 1.5cm slices. Brush the slices with olive oil on one side, then place them oil-side down on a cooking sheet in the oven. Remove from oven after the rims of each slice have begun to brown.
5. Turn the slices over and spoon the tomato mix onto each slice on the olive-oil side then place on a serving tray.